But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
But a natural (unspiritual) man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised (examined).
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
But the natural, nonspiritual man does not accept or welcome or admit into his heart the gifts and teachings and revelations of the Spirit of God, for they are folly (meaningless nonsense) to him; and he is incapable of knowing them (of progressively recognizing, understanding, and becoming better acquainted with them) because they are spiritually discerned and estimated and appreciated.
But the unregenerate man of the highest intellectual attainments does not grant access to the things of the Spirit of God, for to him they are folly, and he is not able to come to know them because they are investigated in a spiritual realm.
But the unspiritual man simply cannot accept the matters which the Spirit deals with – they just don’t make sense to him, for, after all, you must be spiritual to see spiritual things.
An unspiritual man does not accept the things that the Spirit of God teaches, for they are nonsense to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are appreciated by spiritual insight.
- No cross references or parallel passage have been cited for this verse.
- An Acceptable Truth - Neil Girrard Many people won’t accept what the Bible says because they often have “difficulty” believing that the translators “got it right” or that what is written in today’s Bible is truly what the original authors actually penned.
- The American Blunders - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The Europeans have long congratulated themselves for discovering the souls basement and have long considered Americans as superficial and naïve for not having much soul - or basement! But Jesus and the Bible warned mankind of the dangers of the soul long before there ever was an America – or a Europe!
- The Book - Neil Girrard A look at what the Bible is - and is not - for.
- Bring Out Your Guns! – Romans 13:1; Twisted Scriptures - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The government has enlisted clergy to act as “clergy response teams” in times of emergency and martial law and their chief text in hand is Romans 13:1. Beware!
- Buy From Me - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Jesus commanded the Laodiceans to buy something from Him. What was it and why is it important?
- A Call to Arms - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) So how does a true believer participate in the ages-old war between God and Satan?
- The Coin of the Realm - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Many think they know what God’s “economy” is all about – but it’s not really what most people presume.
- Come Out From Among Them - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Why, at the end of His explanation of the parable of the wheat and the tares, did Jesus say, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear”?
- Experience Required - Neil Girrard Can we really know God apart from our experience?
- The Father’s Business - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) As sons of God we need to be about our Father’s business – but what is that?
- Fearing Man; Lords of Darkness - Neil Girrard This ruler’s work lies in the realm of getting us to fear (respectfully obey) man rather than God, that is, obey any man or follow any tradition, philosophy or teaching of man rather than obey God.
- Fellowship; The End Time Men - W.W. Fischer Obviously, what is acclaimed as fellowship in most Christian churches isn’t really Christian fellowship.
- Furthering the Kingdom - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Practical steps toward seeing the kingdom of God established among us.
- Genuine Christians - Neil Girrard When Paul confronted the Judaizers, he also left us a perfect description of genuine believers in Christ.
- Hijacked! - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) We do not normally associate the term “hijacked” with the New Testament yet this is precisely what has happened and is happening.
- Hobbes, Locke and Rousseau: Three of Satan’s Stooges - Neil Girrard The U.S. is little more than the acting out of the philosophies of Hobbes, Locke and Rousseau but most Americans don’t know what these philosophers said or why that might be important to them as followers of Christ.
- How Christ Is Revealed by the Holy Spirit - Not Through the Intellect!; When He Is Come - A.W. Tozer From a collection of 10 sermons on the Holy Spirit.
- 1. The Importance of Brokenness; The Release of the Spirit - Watchman Nee An important milestone in any believer’s life who wants to walk by the Spirit and not by the flesh.
- In But Not Of - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Being in this world but not of it is a standard that truly separates “the men from the boys.”
- Is God in Everybody?; The End Time Men - W.W. Fischer This type of reasoning isn’t Christian, it is pantheism, which is an eastern philosophy derived from Buddhism and Hinduism.
- King James Only - Neil Girrard Some groups insist on reading the King James Bible only – what is that all about?
- Maturing in Christ: Advice to New - and Old - Believers - Neil Girrard The path to spiritual maturity is not just a walk up an aisle or even an overnight journey. There are many things we need to observe in our spiritual journey toward God to be certain we don’t get off the path that leads to life.
- The Message of the Kingdom - Neil Girrard Everyone knows the parable of the sower and the seed – so what really does the seed represent?
- The Need for Examination of Theories; War On the Saints - Jesse Penn-Lewis Only the truth of God, apart from “views” of truth, will avail for protection, or warfare, in the conflict with wicked spirits in the heavenly sphere.
- Nothing New - Neil Girrard A look at how the devil’s strategies to entrap the body of Christ really haven’t changed over the centuries.
- Old Testament Credibility; The End Time Men - W.W. Fischer There are various forces and groups who are trying to undermine Scriptural truths by casting doubts concerning the authenticity of the Old Testament and the nation of Israel.
- One Hundred and Seven Theses - Steve Camp Christianity today is increasingly dominated by the spirit of this age rather than the Spirit of Christ. We call ourselves to repent of this sin and to recover the historic Christian faith in the arts again.
- 11. Organization: Necessary and Dangerous (Part 3); The “Church” Paradigm (a la Tozer) - Neil Girrard Tozer gives a classic example of the slippery slope method of reaching false conclusions, an error he does not often make.
- Our Threefold Enemy - Neil Girrard Those who would have us fight only the flesh leave us blind to our defenses against the demonic and the world and to the offensive weapons God has given us that we might obtain His objectives.
- Pressing Into the Kingdom - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The kingdom of God differs from the law and the prophets – why is that important?
- The Purpose of America - Neil Girrard Who said America can’t be found in the end-times prophecies? And who said God invented democracy?
- The Scriptural Basis for “Warfare” Against the Powers of Darkness; War On the Saints - Jesse Penn-Lewis Praying “against” the powers of darkness is Scriptural, and in accord with truth, and attested facts of Christian experience.
- Seven / Twenty-One / Five-Twenty B.C. (Part 2); “Building the Temple” - Neil Girrard God is building a building capable of withstanding the shaking that He will bring forth in the end times.
- The Shell Game - Neil Girrard “Church” is so filled with deception and lies. What is the truth?
- Sight - Neil Girrard An unusual Greek word points to the need to see with God’s eyes and not our own.
- A Slippery Slope - Neil Girrard Like Francis Schaeffer's How Shall We Then Live?, Frank Viola's wonderful historical analysis in Pagan Christianity is tainted by the short-comings of the last chapter.
- The Spiritual Believer Exhorted to “Judge All Things”; War On the Saints - Jesse Penn-Lewis He that is spiritual should reject all things which his spiritual judgment is unable to accept, until such a time as he is able to discern with clearness what are the things of God.
- Strong Delusion - Neil Girrard When God sends strong delusion on all who take pleasure in unrighteousness, who can stand?
- A Tangled Web - Neil Girrard If knowing and doing the will of God is such a central part of following Christ, why do some claim that God’s purposes and will are unknowable?
- Teachings of the Spirit - Neil Girrard It is most important that the Holy Spirit, and not some man, be our real teacher. Here’s why.
- Three Lies - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Three lies currently in vogue in various “Christian” circles, at first, seem to be unrelated to one another but in reality share very similar roots.
- Through the Looking Glass - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) If one looks into either end of binoculars or a telescope, a “looking glass,” one can see many things about the kingdom and the “church.” A surprisingly deep parable.
- Triumphant Overcoming - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) If there is one word that has fallen from common usage in “Christian” circles, it would be the need to overcome.
- Vessels of Honor and Glory - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) For various reasons, men reject even the notion that man is, at his “bottom line,” only a clay pot.
- Where Did the Prophets Go? - A Review - Neil Girrard The author of this book asks a good question but his answers fall far short of the full counsel of God.
- Why Now? - Neil Girrard Why is God revealing the differences between “church” and ekklesia now?
- Why Should I Care - Neil Girrard If the world is going to hell in a handbasket, why should I care?
- The Wiles of the Adversary in the Spiritual Sphere Concerning Revelations, the Voice of the Lord, Guidance, and Liberty.; The Warfare With Satan and the Way of Victory - Jesse Penn-Lewis Let us see that we are now encased safely in the heavenly armour, under the protection of the Blood of the Lamb, as we take the sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, and unveil some of the wiles of the devil which he plans around some aspects of the life in the spiritual sphere.
- The Wiles of the Devil - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Any soldier intending to survive the day’s battle needs to know what weapons his enemy is using and how to counter those weapons.
- The Will of God - Neil Girrard Total surrender to God is not optional - especially in understanding the truths of the Bible.