And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build My ekklesia; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
“And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My ekklesia, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
“And I also say to you that you are Peter (Petros, a stone), and upon this rock I will build My ekklesia; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it.
And I tell you that you are Peter (rock), and on this rock I will build My ekklesia, and the gates of Hades (or hell) will not overcome it (or not prove stronger than it).
And I tell you, you are Peter [Greek, Petros - a large piece of rock], and on this rock [Greek, petra - a huge rock like Gibralter] I will build My ekklesia, and the gates of Hades (the powers of the infernal region) shall not overpower it [or be strong to its detriment or hold out against it].
Moreover, as for Myself, I also am saying to you, You are Rock [petros, masculine in gender, a detached but large fragment of rock], and upon this massive rock [petra, feminine in gender, feminine demonstrative pronoun cannot go back to masculine pertros; petra, a rock peak, a massive rock] I will build My Ekklesia. And the councils of the unseen world shall not overpower it.
Now I tell you that you are Peter the rock, and it is on this rock that I am going to found My Ekklesia, and the powers of death will never have the power to destroy it.
And I, yes I, tell you, your name from now on is to be Peter, Rock, and on a massive rock like this (a different word from the word translated Peter; i.e., petra, a massive rock, meaning faith in the Christ, the Son of God) I will build My ekklesia, and the powers of the underworld (hades) shall never overthrow it.
- No cross references or parallel passage have been cited for this verse.
- An Acceptable Truth - Neil Girrard Many people won’t accept what the Bible says because they often have “difficulty” believing that the translators “got it right” or that what is written in today’s Bible is truly what the original authors actually penned.
- Against the Night; The “Church” Paradigm (a la Colson); Neil Girrard Chuck Colson’s excellent spiritual and political analysis of a decade ago are marred by his own presupposed paradigms.
- The Basis of Unity - Neil Girrard The basis of our unity today is not to be found anywhere else but in Christ.
- Blind Spots: What Have We Missed? - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) David Platt’s book, Radical is intended to challenge his readers to embrace a biblically radical Christianity but falls far short of its intentions because of the author’s blind spots.
- Building Paneled Houses - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The Lord is again asking, “Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses while My house lies in ruins?” How would this word of the Lord from Hag. 1:4 apply to modern twenty-first century followers of Christ?
- But the Building Is Just a Tool - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) A Scriptural look at the deceptive practice of “church” buildings.
- The Call for Unity - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The call for unity that is sounding forth from so many among professed followers of Christ today is genuine – but it is dangerous.
- Captives Set Free; Lords of Darkness - Neil Girrard Sergius Paulus, Nicodemus and Saul of Tarsus were each set free from the schemes of the lords of the darkness of this age.
- 4. The Christian Life in a United Church - Part 1; The Unfinished Reformation - An Analysis - Neil Girrard What would a unified ekklesia look like?
- 5. The Christian Life in a United Church - Part 2; The Unfinished Reformation - An Analysis - Neil Girrard We now return to the floor-tilting quotes we laid on the table in the previous section.
- 6. The Christian Life in a United Church - Part 3; The Unfinished Reformation - An Analysis - Neil Girrard Morrison unleashes, to the best of his ability (and for his time and season – 1951!), his imagination toward what a unified ekklesia would look and be like.
- Church Home - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Modern Christianity tells us we need a “church home.” What is a “church home”? Do we really need one?
- 4. The Churches Founded by the Apostles; The Normal Christian Church Life - Watchman Nee The word most often translated “church” (at least, in the original Greek) means “the called out ones” and refers to any assembly of called-out saints, whether local or eternal.
- Come Out From Among Them - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Why, at the end of His explanation of the parable of the wheat and the tares, did Jesus say, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear”?
- Coming Out and Moving On - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Failing to come completely out of the “rabbit hole” can be as lethal as simply and blindly remaining asleep in the depths of the “church” pit.
- Common Usage - Neil Girrard Sometimes it benefits us to read a familiar passage in the Greek because we, without ever realizing it, have often experienced a subtle shift in meaning simply because the New Testament we read is in English.
- Counting Heads - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) One of the most obvious features of any particular “church” can be used to easily and immediately assess its character and quality and this requires no spiritual discernment whatsoever – so why isn’t this method used more often?
- 7. The Covering, Restraint, and Supply of the Body of Christ; The Body of Christ: A Reality - Watchman Nee In this chapter we shall look into a few more matters related to the body of Christ.
- Demonics - Neil Girrard Can a Christian be demonized? Can a “pastor” be demonized? The answer might surprise you.
- The Desire To See - Neil Girrard Among those who have heard and obeyed God’s call to “Come out” of organized, institutional apostate churchianity, there remains a strong desire to more clearly see the ekklesia, God’s people, come together and interact in loving service to one another and to know that we are doing our part in Christ’s body.
- Destroying the Lies - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) When God showed John that Jesus intended to destroy the works of the devil, He meant it. We do well to believe it.
- A Division of Labor - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) In the work of God, there is a division of labor that has lain unseen for centuries, even millennia. What is it?
- Ekklesia - A Word Study - Neil Girrard Reading the Scriptures with the word “church” in them has done centuries of damage to the body of Christ. A simple reading of these Scriptures with the Greek word “ekklesia” re-inserted can be a real eye-opener.
- Ekklesia or the Kingdom of God - Neil Girrard The kingdom of God is simply not the exact same thing as the ekklesia and the confusion that results by assuming that they are has caused many difficulties for the people of Christ.
- Error and Deception - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The phrase “the error of Balaam” opens up what God has to say to those who live in the days of deception prior to His return.
- False Religion; Lords of Darkness - Neil Girrard The most successful and dangerous of Satan’s “propaganda ministry” is the spirit of false religion.
- The Final Reformation - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) It is believed by some that we are standing at the front of the “last reformation.” What’s that all about?
- Furthering the Kingdom - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Practical steps toward seeing the kingdom of God established among us.
- A Game of Words - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Words are the transportation device of the enemy of our souls and most Christians don’t know how successful he’s been at robbing us of our heritage in Christ.
- The Gates of Hades; Lords of Darkness - Neil Girrard Is there absolutely no way the demonic schemes against us can ultimately succeed?
- God’s Fuhrer - Neil Girrard The hierarchy of the “church” (and its leftover remains among those who have left the “church”) makes the “servants of God” resemble a fuhrer. How can this be?
- Grace and Truth; Twisted Scriptures - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The devil holds no tenet of the faith as sacred and he will distort any and every doctrine of the gospel if it will gain him any advantage over even one single believer – even the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Inoculated - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Many Americans are unreached by the gospel because they have been inoculated against it, most often at some “church.”
- It Doesn’t Take a Genius - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) If it doesn’t take a genius to make the world a better place, what will it take?
- The Keys of the Kingdom - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) With knowledge of the keys to the kingdom of God, one must certainly possess eternal life – right?
- King James Only - Neil Girrard Some groups insist on reading the King James Bible only – what is that all about?
- The Kingdom Is the Key - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) An accurate understanding of the kingdom of God is the key to understanding the collection of writings we commonly call the New Testament.
- The Kingdom of God Is at Hand - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) With the proclamation that the kingdom of God was at hand, Jesus ushered in a new phase in the work of redemption that God had purposed before the creation of the world.
- Kingdom or Church? - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Did Christ come to found and institute the church or did He come to bring forth the kingdom of God among men?
- Maturing in Christ: Advice to New - and Old - Believers - Neil Girrard The path to spiritual maturity is not just a walk up an aisle or even an overnight journey. There are many things we need to observe in our spiritual journey toward God to be certain we don’t get off the path that leads to life.
- The Missing Piece of the Puzzle - Neil Girrard Jesus told us, if we have ears to hear, that we would need a “new” way to view ourselves in the end times.
- The Mother of Abominations - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) “Mystery Babylon” encompasses more than most people realize.
- Multi-Denominationalism - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Some people are promoting the idea of “multi-denominationalism.” What’s that about?
- The Net - Neil Girrard To be fishers of men we need fishing equipment.
- No Good Thing - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) It is a great day in the Lord when we finally learn there is no good thing in our flesh – but what will it take for us to learn that there is no good thing in the “church”?
- One Hundred and Seven Theses - Steve Camp Christianity today is increasingly dominated by the spirit of this age rather than the Spirit of Christ. We call ourselves to repent of this sin and to recover the historic Christian faith in the arts again.
- One Small Hiccup: Chip Brogden’s The Church in the Wilderness - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) A nearly flawless work of spiritual insights and wisdom is unfortunately marred by one expression of the author’s opinions – but don’t let that stop you from buying or reading the book for yourself!
- 3. Organization: Necessary and Dangerous (Part 2); The “Church” Paradigm (a la Tozer) - Neil Girrard Parasitical organizations attached to the work of God is precisely what Jesus predicted.
- Outside the Box - Neil Girrard In one short quote, J.B. Phillips put his finger squarely on the problems of modern churchianity.
- The Paradigm Shift - Neil Girrard A response to some of Steve Camp’s 107 Theses addressing the issues of what it really means to be the church.
- A Part of Christ - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The people who are “the Church,” are part of Christ, right?
- A Picture of the Kingdom - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) When Jesus was transfigured on the mountain, He showed His glory to His disciples – and left us a detailed “snapshot” of what His kingdom would be like after His death and before His return.
- The Power of “Church” Deception - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Those ensnared in obvious sin are more likely to attain to liberty than those ensnared by “church” deceptions because so few recognize how unScriptural the “church” has become.
- Provision, Power and Presumption - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The temptations of Christ are more intricately intertwined in the life of the genuine believer than we are normally taught at “church.”
- The Purpose of America - Neil Girrard Who said America can’t be found in the end-times prophecies? And who said God invented democracy?
- Seven / Twenty-One / Five-Twenty B.C. (Part 1); “Building the Temple” - Neil Girrard To build God’s building, requires obedience to the Spirit of God – and His strength.
- Simplicity in Christ - Neil Girrard The simplicity that Christ calls us to walk in applies also, believe it or not, to how we are to assemble.
- Six / One / Five-Twenty B.C.; “Building the Temple” - Neil Girrard The prophecies of Haggai apply to those who would build the temple of the Holy Spirit in our time much more than we might think.
- Six / Twenty-Four / Five-Twenty B.C.; “Building the Temple” - Neil Girrard Obedience to the King, Christ Jesus, is not optional if we are going to co-labor with Him in building His temple, His body, His people.
- Spectrums: “Church” or Ekklesia - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Any individual, whether the worst kind of evil villain or the best kind of saint or hero, is a combination of both good and bad characteristics – so why are led to believe that an assembly, which is made up of many individuals, must be either merely “good” or “bad” and not some mixture of both?
- Spiritual But Not Religious - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) SBNR is a popular label among “emergent” generations. What does this label really mean?
- Still Close at Hand - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The call to repent because the kingdom of God is close at hand is still sounding because man is still wicked and sinful.
- Strong Delusion - Neil Girrard When God sends strong delusion on all who take pleasure in unrighteousness, who can stand?
- 8. Surmounting Three Major Obstacles; The Unfinished Reformation - An Analysis - Neil Girrard Morrison again looks ahead to “a united church,” offering his ideas (compiled in the late 1940s) as to how to overcome what he saw as three major obstacles to “ecumenical unity.”
- Three Lies - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Three lies currently in vogue in various “Christian” circles, at first, seem to be unrelated to one another but in reality share very similar roots.
- Through the Looking Glass - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) If one looks into either end of binoculars or a telescope, a “looking glass,” one can see many things about the kingdom and the “church.” A surprisingly deep parable.
- The True Body of Christ - Neil Girrard Just what is the true body of Christ and in what manner does one go about seeking to find those that are like-minded?
- Unanimity - Neil Girrard God has been waiting for and working His people toward finally being content to sit back and stop trying to build anything for God.
- The Unity of the Spirit - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Only when He is our King, indeed our all – first individually and then corporately – can we ever hope to experience what Paul called “the unanimity of the Spirit of God.”
- Vessels of Honor and Glory - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) For various reasons, men reject even the notion that man is, at his “bottom line,” only a clay pot.
- We Are the Church - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Many people who attend “church” at some building or institution claim to recognize this as a truth yet they do not recognize how many deceptions are built into this seemingly simple idea.
- Where Did the Prophets Go? - A Review - Neil Girrard The author of this book asks a good question but his answers fall far short of the full counsel of God.
- Where Do You Go To Church? - Neil Girrard This seemingly innocent question covers a whole lot of territory.
- Where Should I Go To Church? - Neil Girrard This important - but ignorant - question deserves to be answered.
- Whose Kingdom Is It Anyway? - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Perhaps the most accurate, over-arching view of the intricate workings of the kingdom of God ever given to men was that given to Ezekiel.
- Why Not One? - Neil Girrard Why has Christ’s High Priestly prayer that we would all be “one” remained unanswered?
- Why Now? - Neil Girrard Why is God revealing the differences between “church” and ekklesia now?
- The Wiles of the Devil - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Any soldier intending to survive the day’s battle needs to know what weapons his enemy is using and how to counter those weapons.
- The Work of the Wilderness - Neil Girrard If God is leading us, why are we still in the wilderness?