Literally, a  “without” or “no” and nomos  “law.” From anomos ; illegality, that is, violation of law or (generally) wickedness. (Note how the definition given contradicts the literal meaning. When this word is understood in the context of New Testament teachings regarding a believer’s deliverance from the law, the better understanding is that of “no outside source by which to order one’s life and actions.” “Anomia” is succinctly captured in the phrase “what is right in one’s own eyes.” -ng)
Occurs 16 times in 14 verses.
Entries following the reference are those used in the New Testament - Greek/English/Strong’s Interlinear.
- Mt. 7:23 – lawlessness
- Mt. 13:41 – lawlessness
- Mt. 24:12 – lawlessness
- 2 Cor. 6:14 – lawlessness
- 2 Ths. 2:3 – of lawlessness
- 2 Ths. 2:7 – of lawlessness
- Tit. 2:14 – lawlessness
- 1 Jn. 3:4 – lawlessness (2x)
- Mt. 23:28 – @
- Rom. 4:7 – @
- Rom. 6:19 – @
- Heb. 1:9 – @
- Heb. 8:12 – @
- Heb. 10:17 – @
- Carnal Followers and Lawless “Theologians” - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) If we are to come out of lawless churchianity, we must first recognize the hidden sin of the leaders and spiritual fathers who contributed to the making of it.
- Destroying the Lies - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) When God showed John that Jesus intended to destroy the works of the devil, He meant it. We do well to believe it.
- Fables - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Paul warned us that the time would come when believers would be turned aside to fables. What did he have in mind?
- A Fine Line - Neil Girrard The believer who wants to obey God must constantly choose between righteousness and lawlessness – but few seem to know what lawlessness really is.
- Followers After Themselves Bible Bullet: Acts 20:30 - Neil Girrard Our spiritual ignorance, as well as our ignorance of church history, causes us to fail to see how precisely this prophetic statement was – and still is being - fulfilled.
- Gaining True Spiritual Maturity - Neil Girrard When we try to gain spiritual maturity by our own efforts, we usually make things worse, not better – why is that?
- Grace and Truth; Twisted Scriptures - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The devil holds no tenet of the faith as sacred and he will distort any and every doctrine of the gospel if it will gain him any advantage over even one single believer – even the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- In the Way - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The parable of the wheat and the tares holds a unique place in the New Testament.
- Inoculated - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Many Americans are unreached by the gospel because they have been inoculated against it, most often at some “church.”
- It Doesn’t Take a Genius - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) If it doesn’t take a genius to make the world a better place, what will it take?
- King James Only - Neil Girrard Some groups insist on reading the King James Bible only – what is that all about?
- Kingdoms in Conflict: A Review - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Kingdoms in Conflict is probably best viewed as a conversation starter – but just how does one grapple with so vast and deep a subject and not fail somewhere?
- Lawlessness That Abounds Bible Bullet: Matthew 24:12 - Neil Girrard The simple mistranslation of one Greek word may be responsible for much misunderstanding of our responsibilities before God.
- Many Deceptions and The Lie - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) How do we reconcile the difference between the many New Testament prophecies that speak of a plurality, even a multiplicity, of deceptions with Paul’s reference to a single lie that carries severe, eternal consequences for those who come under its power?
- The Many Rs of the Final Reformation - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) In order to grasp the entirety of God’s movement of the last days requires more than the simple label “the final reformation.”
- Meeting - Neil Girrard We’ve spotted the “church” building, the “pastor” and even the “liturgy” – but what about our “meetings”?
- The Most Dangerous Man in the Assembly - Neil Girrard The most dangerous man in the assembly is the least likely suspect – he’s very likely to be the one who has the most Bible knowledge!
- Our Heavenly Calling in Christ - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Our heavenly calling in Christ requires a balance of deeper and more accurate knowledge of exactly what God has done for and given to us accompanied by our diligent obedience and spiritually mature attentiveness to the responsibilities He has placed upon us.
- Out of “Church” - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Coming out of “church” is a lot more than just leaving the building and no longer sitting at the feet of the “man of God” behind his pulpit.
- The Passing Darkness - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) The reason mainline denominations are dying out is blatantly obvious for those who have eyes to see.
- The Pillar of Truth - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) We, the people of Christ, are to stand for and uphold God’s absolute standards of truth.
- The Promise of Eternal Life - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Juan Ponce de Leon’s pursuit of the fountain of youth in the 1500s is very comparable to modern “Christianity’s” ideas on how to gain eternal life.
- Significant Differences - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) For those who have spiritual eyes and ears to see and hear, the differences between the kingdom of God and the “church” are as important as whether one worships God or worships an idol and the false demonic “god” behind it.
- Spectrums: “Church” or Ekklesia - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Any individual, whether the worst kind of evil villain or the best kind of saint or hero, is a combination of both good and bad characteristics – so why are led to believe that an assembly, which is made up of many individuals, must be either merely “good” or “bad” and not some mixture of both?
- Tags Come Second - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Some people want to believe that “denominational tags” are permissible and harmless and even irrelevant. Really?
- The Wiles of the Devil - Neil Girrard - ( in Adobe/pdf format ) Any soldier intending to survive the day’s battle needs to know what weapons his enemy is using and how to counter those weapons.
I’d love to hear comments and/or questions from you! Email me!